Monday, April 12, 2010

BACKPACKS AND FAITH

So anyway, JC went to a baseball game right after school and of course, brought his backpack. While he was there, he asked a friend's mom to watch his backpack so he could run around and hang with his friends. No big deal right? Well, he got home that night and was sitting in the chair around 8:30 and it just hit him that he forgot his backpack. So we hopped in the car to go find it. On the way there, I asked him if he was praying and he said, "yeah, how did you know." I said, "because if I were you, I would be praying". I then asked him how much it was going to cost him to replace his books and he said $60.00. For a 13-year old that is a ton of money and I felt bad that if we couldn't find his bag that he would have to pay to replace his books. Well, we finally got there only to discover that it was not where he left it and it was not in the lost and found. The conversation then turned to thoughts like, "what are you going to learn through this." Of course, he learned to be more responsible with his stuff and he didn't want to pay.


JC then said that he was going to keep praying and I said, "I will pray with you, but I really don't have that much faith that we are going to find it." I know, I know, it wasn't the best example, but I was focussed on the "reality" of the situation. JC, however was focussed on the "possibility" of the situation. Isn't that the difference maker in prayer.....those that focus on the reality and those that focus on the possibility. I suppose that is what faith really is....

A week went by and JC called me on the phone and said, "Dad, that prayer thing really works, I found my bag." It turns out the lady that he asked to watch it took it home and didn't know how to get in touch with him. However, his friend that he went to the game with called the lady and she said that she had it. I told JC that he had more faith than me in this situation and I am glad that he was faithful in prayer. Who knew that I would go back-to-school in the area of prayer as my failing grade was popping out of the top of the backpack that I failed to pray about. Hmmmm.....reality and possibilities. Jesus, increase my faith.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home