Wednesday, March 09, 2005

DAY OFF

The conversation was great. The waitress was extra kind. The food was fantastic. I was eating Pad Thai and a California Roll at one of my favorite places for lunch. I was with Robert, a new friend of mine. We have been friends now for about 4 months. During that time I have discoverd that we share many of the same passions - people, church planting, theology, Thai food, British comedy, (which for him it makes sense because he is from London), strategic thinking, souls, driving behind the wheel not the passenger seat, working, dreaming and eating. Did I mention eating?

The conversation today was typical to most of our conversations. We talk about church life, Study Smarts, my family, his family, life in general. But then something strange happened. He asked me if I ever take a day off. It is about 11:30 PM right now and I have been thinking about that question for about 11 hours now.

What is a day off? Does it mean that I have stop doing what I don't like doing to do what I really want to do? Does it mean that I organize a day during the week to do nothing at all? Everyday for me is different because I am a husband, father, pastor and business owner. I wake up everyday with a different approach and different schedule - mainly because I really don't have a schedule. The only thing predictable in my life is the unpredictability.

This brings me to a more important question. Does taking a day off mean that I take a day off from who I AM or what I DO? Does it mean taking a day off from both? I am not really sure how to answer that question and I am not really sure it needs answered. I do know that Robert's questions provoked a couple of thoughts for me.

Thought One: I don't feel like I really work during the day because who I am is what I do so I don't need a day off.

Thought Two: If what I am is what I do, then taking a day off would mean that I stop being me.

I suppose I have never thought about a day off.

Thank you Robert for helping me realize that I can spend each day being who I am and that doesn't require a day off. I know that is not what you meant by your question, but it really caused me to be thankful of the fact that I am doing who I am. I am truly living a dream!!!

11 Comments:

At 3:49 AM, Blogger Victor Robert said...

MMM
DAY OFF = A chance to indulge me in areas of my choosing, rather than my employers choosing.

DAY OFF = A chance to indulge me in areas of my choosing.

DAY OFF = A chance for me to rest. Even God rested after doung wahat he loved. God loved resting, contemplating His works, undulging Himself in them.

DAY OFF = A chance for me to rest put aside the indulgenc myself and get with God more thoroughly

DAY OFF = A chance for me to recharge.

DAY OFF = A chance for me to to something completelty different. Gain perspective, becoem more rounded.

DAY OFF = A chance for me to to indulge my family.

DAY OFF = A chance for me to meditate, conteplate, ruminate.

DAY OFF = A chance for me to rest, achance for me to gain power so's not to piss other people off with my tired grumpiness.

 
At 3:52 PM, Blogger JeremyCox said...

I guess we are going to play a little verbal ping pong.

I am my own employer so I choose what I do during the day because I want to.

I spend my day indulging in the areas of my choosing.

I rest at night when I sleep. God never sleeps.

I get to know God through my indulging. It is impossible to separate faith and life. I study God's Word as part of my day anyway.

I recharge when I sleep.

My life is spontaneous and diffent and well rounded because of that.

Indulging my family is not a day off, it is actually when I need to be "on".

Praying "without ceasing" is meditating, contemplating and ruminating.

I rest when I sleep to gain the power needed tackle my "day on".

A guess a better question would be:
A day off of what?

 
At 6:41 PM, Blogger Victor Robert said...

I definitly need a rest from my family! They just might need a rest from me :-) Can't think why.

you have more testosterone than me mate...I guarantee it, a few years time and you shall want a day to recharge...hey mabe youa re on permant holiday..no serious....maybe you've cracked it baby:-)

I am my own employer and many times do what I have to rather than want to.

I spend my day indulging in the areas of my choosing...I WISH!

I rest at night when I sleep. I don;t sleep well...Acid reflux, aches and pains..getting up for a wee..Freky dreams..God waking me up..etc etc

I get to know God through my indulging. It is impossible to separate faith and life. I study God's Word as part of my day anyway. AMEN I AGREE...I don't alwasy have time for the Word..it;s an effot and many times i get defeated in this area.

I recharge when I sleep. NOT ME

My life is spontaneous and differnt and well rounded because of that. MMMmmm. Yes it is. I'm different though. I liek tram lines and railroad tracks for a wee while, else I get freaky..

Indulging my family is not a day off, it is actually when I need to be "on".Precisly...

Praying "without ceasing" is meditating, contemplating and ruminating. Yes...

I rest when I sleep to gain the power needed tackle my "day on".
Not me.

A guess a better question would be:
A day off of what? A day to REST AND INDULGE AND RECHARGE...You are awesome mate and I have seen you gear changing and juggling..You do it well. Excellent...But I tell you what..One thing I know...I need a day off.. :-)

I need it and should actually start taking it...Confession...I don't take a day off, but know I should..:-)

 
At 6:43 PM, Blogger Victor Robert said...

Where are all you bloggers...get with the flippin program..GOSH!

 
At 6:53 PM, Blogger JeremyCox said...

I just needed a moment to sound self-righteous.....thank you for indulging me.

Actually, I am honestly thankful for the way God has organized my life and of course I need a day off of something everyday so technically everyday is a day off. Hmmmm....

Let's take a day off together next week. What do you say?

Peace Baby!

 
At 9:04 AM, Blogger Ken McCord said...

My Heart
My Family
My Work
My World

God at the center of all 4. Jesus the guide, master, friend, teacher, etc...The Holy Spirit the governor.

Seems like these days I need sometime to order, plan and pull the trigger all over again. Not always a full day.

Kel and I are learning to spend time off together...seems that from there we butterfuly effect the rest of our week.

J. I like the Marriage Monday

R. I like the question. Health flows from the Heart.

Peace my friends!
Kenny

 
At 4:52 PM, Blogger JeremyCox said...

Kate:

Great thoughts! I love the idea of God's strength and calm being like the waves at the beach. We live in a beautiful state! Make it a great week!

Jeremy

 
At 4:52 PM, Blogger JeremyCox said...

Kate:

Great thoughts! I love the idea of God's strength and calm being like the waves at the beach. We live in a beautiful state! Make it a great week!

Jeremy

 
At 4:53 PM, Blogger JeremyCox said...

Kate:

Great thoughts! I love the idea of God's strength and calm being like the waves at the beach. We live in a beautiful state! Make it a great week!

Jeremy

 
At 4:53 PM, Blogger JeremyCox said...

Kate:

Great thoughts! I love the idea of God's strength and calm being like the waves at the beach. We live in a beautiful state! Make it a great week!

Jeremy

 
At 4:53 PM, Blogger JeremyCox said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home