Sunday, April 17, 2005

GREEN SHOES

Green Shoes Posted by Hello


"Hello Pastor Jeremy! Today is gonna be a good day Pastor Jeremy as long as I keep taking my medication Pastor Jeremy. God is good Pastor Jeremy. I am down to a few cigarrettes per day Pastor Jeremy. I tell ya Pastor Jeremy, God is watchin' out for me Pastor Jeremy. This HIV is killing me Pastor Jeremy. I just need to keep takin' my medication, right Pastor Jeremy?" "That's right Billy, you just keep taking that medication and rejoice in the Lord always." "That's right Pastor Jeremy."

I would like to introduce you to my friend Billy. Billy is a 55 year old black man who lives across the street from our church building in a "retirement center" for the mentally ill. Billy is a believer in Jesus and understands Jesus as his Lord. He always has a positive word to say, but struggles within the same conversations he has with himself on a daily basis. Billy includes me in his conversations and I am always happy he does. I am not sure what Billy's future holds for him, but I can tell you this, I will miss him when he finally goes home to be with the Lord. I see him around the city riding his 3 wheel bicycle. I get a little nervous for him, but he always seems to make it home.

Anyway, recently he made friends with a married couple at the Church of Hollywood Downtown who were only with us for a short time before they moved to California. He somehow managed to get their address and has been writing them now for over 6 months. Billy's basic needs are taken care of like food, shelter and clothing. I believe he receives $54.00 a month for spending money. He asked them if they would mind helping him with a new outfit. They agreed to send $50.00 and I agreed to take him shopping. Today was the day of our shopping spree.

I can only imagine the prayer. Lord, I know I am HIV positive. I know I am mentally ill and need to take my medication. I know I have a cigarrette addicition. I know my life could be better. I know You love me. I know I am a child of Yours. I would really like some green converse.........and God said yes.

Hmmmmmm.......

Isn't it amazing that God journeys with us? He takes delight in every detail of our lives. I am sure He enjoyed the smile on Billy's face when he put on those new green shoes. I don't think this is necessary to state, but I believe Billy is a reminder to us all that God takes pleasure in blessing His children. Have you thanked Him lately?

Thank you Billy for believing!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home